The Church of St. George originated in 1854 when immigrants from Germany began settling the open prairies of Nicollet County. In 1856 a priest began ministering to the spiritual needs of the people. With the growth of the community, a church became a necessity. A little log building was erected in 1858. Because many of the men of the community were baptized with the name of George, St. George became the church’s patron.
Soon the small church was inadequate. Thus in 1871, it was replaced with a frame building, to be replaced in 1892 with the present, larger, brick building. In 1916 a parochial school was built and staffed by sisters, the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ. That building was replaced in 1952 and served until 1991.
Members of St. George continue to be actively involved in every aspect of the parish. Societies include the Council of Catholic Women, Catholic United Financial and the Catholic Order of Foresters. There are two choirs and many parishioners volunteer time and talent as altar servers, lectors, commentators and ushers. Yet others serve on boards and committees or help with the general maintenance of yards and buildings. Social events add to the viability and unity of the parish as well as serve its monetary needs. St. George Church was solemnly dedicated on August 22, 1998, by Bishop Raymond A. Lucker.