2016 Holy Cross Area Faith Community Confirmation Classes
The Holy Cross Area Faith Community of Cathedral, St. Mary's, St. John's, St Gregory the Great and St. George prepare together for Confirmation under the direction of Mrs. Julie Soehren. Her office is at Cathedral Parish, 605 North State St., New Ulm, MN 56073, (507) 354-4158 or email@example.com.
The Sacrament of Confirmation is the third and final Sacrament of Initiation in the Catholic Church. It confirms and completes the Sacrament of Baptism. The time of preparation helps the candidate to grow closer to God, develop a deeper relationship with Jesus and open themselves to the reception of the Holy Spirit and His Seven Gifts. Weekend Mass attendance is assumed, and must be of the highest priority. In addition, increased personal prayer time, frequent reception of the Sacraments and catechesis in either the Catholic School or Parish based Religious Education classes are the essential components.
Candidates are invited to begin the two year preparation process at the beginning of their Sophomore year. This first step in the Confirmation process for our incoming tenth grade students and others interested in receiving this sacrament is an interview. They are confirmed in May of their Junior year.
• Confirmation Welcoming Interviews: We ask candidates and their parents to come for a Welcoming Interview with parish representatives. It is a chance to meet you and discuss what is involved as you begin the process of preparing for Confirmation. The interviews last about 30 minutes and take place during June, July, August and September. We encourage you to call in early as schedules fill up fast!
• Sponsors: Sponsors, chosen by the confirmandi, guide them throughout the preparation process. This person is to be a committed Catholic, one that you can look to for prayer and support, someone you feel comfortable sharing your beliefs with. The sponsor must be a mature Catholic, confirmed and practicing their Catholic Faith. We strongly recommend they be at least several years out of high school or older, preferably living in this area. The sponsor can be a family member, godparent, friend, teacher, etc..., but it cannot be your parent. Candidates and Sponsors meet several times throughout the preparation time to discuss Faith Sharing questions.
• Confirmation Gathering: All Candidates, Parents, and Sponsors are to attend the Gathering where all materials are distributed. It is typically held the last Wednesday in September or first Wednesday in October.
• Commitment/Recognition Sunday: - Each Parish sets a date, in January of February to present the Candidates for Confirmation in their home Parish.
• Service Projects: During their preparation years candidates are asked to look at how they can serve God by assisting His people on earth. There is a service component to the preparation process. Since many are very busy during the school year, it is suggested they begin during the summer. Parents remember, our youth learn by example...Students are expected to help with their respective Parish Picnics.
• Retreats: All candidates must attend a retreat during their Confirmation Preparation years. You have your choice and you only need to do one. Retreat dates are included in the Confirmation packets or go to www.riverbendtec.org for a list of TEC (Together Encountering Christ) dates.
• Confirmation Ceremony: Confirmandi are Confirmed by the Bishop at the end of their eleventh grade year. We typically are given the 5:30 Saturday evening Mass before Mother’s Day for our Holy Cross Area Faith Community Confirmation at St. Mary’s Parish in New Ulm. Students from the Parishes of Cathedral, St. Mary's, St. John's, St. George, and St Gregory are confirmed together.